When making shrimp & grits, it consists of four main components: Shrimp, peppers/onions, Tasso gravy, and grits…
- 2 pounds 26-30 count shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 large red bell pepper, julienne
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, julienne
- 1 large green bell pepper, julienne
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 1 ¼ pound Tasso ham, small dice
- 6 tbsp minced garlic
- 5 shallots, small dice
- 3 ¼ cup white wine
- 1 ¾ quart heavy cream
- 2 ½ ounces lemon juice
- ½ quart grits
- 2 quart water
- 5 ounces bacon, cooked crumbled
- 4 ½ cup half and half
- 1 ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- To thicken, Buerre Manie
- To taste, salt and pepper
Method of Preparation:
1. The first step in making shrimp & grits is to make your grits. Using a large pot put the water and half & half inside and bring to a boil on high heat.
2. After the pot has come to a boil, turn down to a simmer (medium heat) and add your grits. Stirring frequently until the grits become soft with no lumps and start to thicken up, about 10-12 minutes.
3. Next, you will add the parmesan cheese and whisk until nice and smooth.
4. To finish the grits add bacon, salt and pepper until the seasoning is just right.
5. Leave the grits on low and start on your Tasso gravy.
6. Making your Tasso gravy will definitely be the highlight of the flavors and production of your shrimp & grits.
7. To start the Tasso gravy, use a medium pot on high and add your oil. When the pan is hot add your shallots and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes until shallots have browned.
8. Next, you will add you Tasso ham, and cook for 5 minutes until nice and golden brown.
9. When shallots have browned add your wine and reduces by half.
10. After the wine has reduced by half, add your heavy cream and reduce by half, another 10-15 minutes.
11. Next, you will add you buerre manie (equal parts flour and butter) until sauce has thickened. Should coat the back of a spoon.
12. Cook for another 15 minutes until the flour has been cooked of the gravy.
13. Season with salt and pepper.
To cook the shrimp & grits, use a large sauté pan, place on stove and turn onto high heat. After pan is hot add your oil. Wait one minute and add your shrimp. After shrimp have become opaque in color add you peppers and onions. Sauté for 2 minutes or until peppers and onions are soft and tender. Next, you will add ¼ cup of the Tasso gravy and lemon juice. When all ingredients have came together pour over grits and serve.